Monday 22 September 2008

Gowan trance


I'd never visited the Gower area of Wales and had heard it was beautiful. We did a spontaneous visit to Rosie's parents who had rented a very basic (outside toilets, cold baths and no telly) and very lovely house on the Gower peninsula above Mewslade Bay. We hadn't planned to go but the weather forecast was great and after the windswept and wet Devon trip we hoped we could get a bit of sunshine before the summer was over. 

The kids loved the cows (see photo below) that came up to the garden fence and we all loved the extraordinary views across the cliffs to the Worm's Head by Rhossilli Bay (see photo above) and out to sea. I went for a run along Rhossilli Bay which reminded me of Saunton Sands and is if anything more beautiful. I didn't swim there though, it didn't really appeal at the time, perhaps because the tide was right out. On the Saturday I went for a quick dip at Meswlade Bay which felt very cold. I always think the Atlantic feels a few degrees colder than the north sea. The bay is spectacular with a very tidal sandy beach surrounded a V of tall cliffs. It isn't particularly accessible so wasn't at all crowded. 

After an evening of wine, fire side chat and star-gazing into the un-light polluted skies I was looking forward to a dip in the sea. However being a wimp I waited until I was shamed into going in by Rosie's dad getting in before me.  I put on a swim hat which always makes me feel protected from the worst of the cold. It was cold but I got used to it and enjoyed the sensation of the salty water giving me extra buoyancy. I kept within my depth as I heard there could be nasty rip tides and frankly I have lost some bottle since being caught in a rip in Felixstowe, a beach I have swum all year round, in all states of tide and drunkenness. I really enjoyed the feeling of plodding along in the calm waters, almost trance-like. I also noted that it would be possible to swim round to Falls Bay or if we were very brave, round Worm's Head to Rhossilli, though that may be a big boy challenge too far for me. 

No comments: